Backpacks For Hunger is a ministry for the kids at Bowie, Travis, Stuart Place and Crockett Elementary Schools which been started by our church. This ministry runs throughout the school year, and discretely provides nutritious, child-friendly, easy-to-prepare food to at-risk children to take home over the weekend. Once a child is in the program he/she will receive a backpack full of food each Thursday or Friday to last throughout the weekend. The child then returns the backpack to school on Monday to be refilled for the next weekend.
Ways To Help
- Donate food items weekly or monthly
- Donate money to purchase food items (please designate "Backpacks For Hunger"
- Volunteer to shop for food items
- Volunteer to deliver and/or pick up backpacks
- Pre-pack wet items in plastic bags
- Volunteer to fill backpacks each week (currently we meet at 9:30 am on Wednesdays)
- Contact Jet Throckton at Jet@fumcharlingen.org or 956-245-0540